The Basics of Training with the Higgins Method
Download the registration form (PDF format) or simply complete the online registration form below. Come join us for a full day with your dog. Learn firsthand about the unique Higgins training method. For additional information, please call us at 916-717-5597.
- Why our Method is unique.
- Understanding how dogs learn
- Introducing puppies to hunting and the gun
- Reading your dog and understanding his actions and motivations
- Building a cooperative relationship with your dog
- The Magic Brushpile
- The importance of timing and consistency
- Use of training aids
- Steadiness as a learned behavior (not an obedience command)
- Handling in the field
- Fixing problems
- Natural and Trained retrieve
This clinic includes demonstrations of wing shooting (shooting birds that are flying) over dogs that are steady to flush, shot and fall.